Monday, February 27, 2017

Christmas Gifts - Quilts and Sewing

I love to quilt but with a new baby this year, it's been hard to find the time. That said, I decided to make quilts for my nephews on my husband's side this year for Christmas. I also wanted to make quilts for two special little friends of ours in Florida. I also wanted to make quilts for my nieces and nephews on my side but I knew I would run out of time (ahem, and money) to make them for Christmas. Instead, it was hinted by my sister that they would enjoy my "toy poufs". I'll explain further on...

My husband was heading to Florida for a "Guys Trip" in early December so I knew I had to get those ones done first and quick! I was running out of time to plan for shipping for the Florida girls so I went to Mook Fabrics in Medicine Hat and picked up some Tinkerbell flannel and some matching pinks, yellows, and greens. Due to time and fabric miscalculations, I make strip rag time quilts for them. I had the dark purple from some pajama pants I made for my niece so I used that in there too. Here's how they turned out:

Quilt 1

Quilt 2

THEN came the boys' projects. For them, I started shopping on my favourite website: fabric.com. I found the perfect flannel for all the boys. I had a lot of fun sewing the Rag Time Quilts for the boys. There are three boys (plus my son and daughter) in the family. I still have to do my son's quilt but I got the other boys' done in time for our family gathering. Here they are below:

All the squares cut up (lots of cutting!)

X's Quilt
 

N's Quilt
 

S's Quilt
 

What do you think??

So after those were all finished, it was time for the next group of projects: Toy Poufs. Years ago, I made my son a cube out of canvas fabric and added a handle and a zipper to stuff in soft teddy bears and other stuffed animals. It helps with clutter and you end up getting a comfy cushion/seat out of it! This time, I decided on a smaller, hexagon version. I shopped - again - at fabric.com and got fabrics that match their rooms/favourite colours. The results are kind of hard to see in the photos but they work awesome. The best example would be in the purple one. You can see it a little more stuffed.

My son's cube

Niece #1

Nephews #1 & #2

Niece #2

Nephew #3

I have been told I should make a sell them. What do you think? I'd love to hear your feedback on the Rag Time Quilts and the Toy Poufs!

No comments:

Post a Comment